15 publications, 13 in peer-reviewed journals, 266 citations, H-index 8, I-10 index 7 (Google Scholar)
* indicates a student mentored by K. Knee
- Knee, K.L. and A. Hitchens*. Water quality in streams overlying the Marcellus Shale: Correlation to density of oil and gas wells. In preparation for River Research and Applications.
- Knee, K.L., D. Brenner, J. Miklas, J. Gardner*, T. Fisher and T. Jordan. Assessing the concentration and evasion rate of biogenic N2 gas in streams: Comparison of natural and artificial dissolved gas tracers. In preparation for Limnology and Oceanography: Methods.
- Knee, K.L., D. Crook, J.L. Hench, J.J. Leichter, and A. Paytan. 2016. Assessment of submarine groundwater discharge (SGD) as a source of dissolved radium and nutrients to Moorea (French Polynesia), coastal waters. Estuaries and Coasts 1-18.
- Gardner, J.*, T. Jordan, L. Knee, and T. Fisher. 2016. Balancing watershed nitrogen budgets: Accounting for biogenic gases in streams. Biogeochemistry 127: 231-253
- Null, K.A., L. Knee, E.D. Crook, N.R. de Sieyes, M. Rebolledo-Vieyra, L. Hernández-Terrones, and A. Paytan. 2014. Composition and fluxes of submarine groundwater along the Caribbean coast of the Yucatan Peninsula. Continental Shelf Research 77: 38-50.
- Knee, K.L. and A. C. Encalada. 2013. Land use and water quality in a rural cloud forest region (Intag, Ecuador). River Research and Applications, doi: 10.1002/rra.2634.
- Knee, K.L. and T.E. Jordan. 2013. Spatial distribution of dissolved radon in the Choptank River and its tributaries: Implications for groundwater discharge and nitrate inputs. Estuaries and Coasts Online First, doi:10.1007/s12237-013-9619-y
- Null, K.A., N.T. Dimova, L. Knee, B.K. Esser, P.W. Swarzenski, M.J. Singleton, M. Stacey and A. Paytan. 2012. Submarine groundwater discharge-derived nutrient loads to San Francisco Bay: Implications to future ecosystem changes. Estuaries and Coasts 35:1299-1315.
- Knee, K.L. and A. Paytan. 2011. Submarine Groundwater Discharge: A Source of Nutrients, Metals, and Pollutants to the Coastal Ocean. Chapter 8 in Treatise on Estuarine and Coastal Science 4: 205-233.
- Knee, K.L., E. Garcia-Solsona, J. Garcia-Orellana, A. Boehm, and A. Paytan. 2011. Using radium isotopes to characterize water ages and coastal mixing rates: A sensitivity analysis. Limnology and Oceanography: Methods 9: 380-395.
- Knee, K.L., J.H. Street, E.E. Grossman, A.B. Boehm, and A. Paytan. 2010a. Nutrient inputs to the coastal ocean from submarine groundwater discharge in a groundwater-dominated system: Relation to land use (Kona Coast, Hawai`i, USA). Limnology and Oceanography 55: 1105-1122.
- Knee, K.L., Gossett, A.B. Boehm, and A. Paytan. 2010b. Caffeine and agricultural pesticide concentrations in surface water and groundwater on the north shore of Kauai (Hawaii, USA). Marine Pollution Bulletin 60: 1376-1382.
- Boehm, A.B., K.M. Yamahara, S.P. Walters, B.A. Layton, D.P. Keymer, R.S. Thompson, L. Knee, and M. Rosener. 2010. Dissolved inorganic nitrogen, soluble reactive phosphorus, and microbial pollutant loading from tropical rural watersheds in Hawai`i to the coastal ocean during non-storm conditions. Estuaries and Coasts 34: 925-936.
- Black, F.J., A. Paytan, L. Knee, N.R. de Sieyes, P.M. Ganguli, E.T. Gray, and A.R. Flegal. 2009. Submarine groundwater discharge of total mercury and monomethyl mercury to central California coastal waters. Environmental Science and Technology 43: 5652-5659.
- Knee, K.L., B.A. Layton, J.H. Street, A.B. Boehm, and A. Paytan. 2008a. Sources of nutrients and fecal indicator bacteria to nearshore waters on the north shore of Kaua`i (Hawai`i, USA). Estuaries and Coasts 31: 607-622.
- Knee, K.L., R.L. Leopold, E.R. Madsen, and A. Paytan. 2008b. Assessing the importance of sand as a source of fecal indicator bacteria (Escherichia coli and Enterococcus). Oceanography 21: 72-80.
- Knee, K.L., J.H. Street, E.E. Grossman, and A. Paytan. 2008c. Submarine ground-water discharge and fate along the coast of Kaloko-Honokohau National Historical Park, island of Hawai`i. Part 2, Spatial and temporal variations in salinity, radium-isotope activity, and nutrient concentrations in coastal waters, December 2003-April 2006. U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2008-5128, 38 pp.
- Street, J.H., L. Knee, E.E. Grossman, and A. Paytan. 2008. Submarine groundwater discharge and nutrient addition to the coastal zone and coral reefs of leeward Hawai`i. Marine Chemistry 109: 355-376.
- Derse, E., L. Knee, S.D. Wankel, C. Kendall, C.J. Berg, Jr., and A. Paytan. 2007. Identifying sources of nitrogen to Hanalei Bay, Kauai, utilizing the nitrogen isotope signature of macroalgae. Environmental Science and Technology 41: 5217-5223.